How to Easily Manage Blocked Drains
A blocked drain is among the most common plumbing problems for homeowners in Australia. Read through to learn some tips on how to prevent and clear blockages in your drains as well as avoid their inconvenience and annoyance.
Measures for Clog Drain Prevention
Bathtubs, sinks and showers are vulnerable for a blocked drain. This plumbing issue can be prevented through the following:
- Avoid pouring oil or grease into your kitchen drain. Fat, grease and other oils have the tendency to adhere to the pipes. Properly dispose these items in the trash bin that is sealed.
- Install the strainers on all your drains at home. Strands of hair are the common causes of blocked drains, most especially in bathtubs and showers. Prevent this stubborn clog through the installation of a strainer or screen on drains and clean them on a regular basis.
- Focus on any item that goes down the drain. Any item that solidifies like glue, wax and paint should not be put into the drain. These things have the tendency to be hardened inside the pipes resulting in complete or partial blockage.
- Do not make your toilet as a wastebasket. Toilet paper is the sole item that must be flushed into your toilet other than human waste. Cotton balls, diapers, facial tissues and sanitary products are not manufactured to dissolve in water and may cause blockage when flushed into the toilet.
- Run through cold water when you are using a disposal. It is recommended to let cold water flow in 15 seconds after turning off your disposal. This initiative will help clearing the pipes of the remaining debris and subsequently prevent the clogs.
Tips for Unclogging Drains
The measures on how to prevent your drains from being blocked will not clear any blockages in your drains. Take the following tips to unclog the drains.
- Make Plunges. Plunging is considered as the most effective approach in removing small blockages using a plunger. See to it that you are using the appropriate tool for the task. Loosen up the clog using a plunger and airtight seal.
- Be extra careful in clearing the clogged drains with liquid cleaners. Most cleaners available in the market contain toxic chemicals that can cause any damage on your pipes. You may use an earth-friendly drain cleaner or any different approach.
- Do the job under your sink. Search for the clog in sink drain by removing the drain tap found under your sink. Avoid this particular step if you have already used chemical-based drain cleaners.
- Refrain from panic. While it is an initial reaction top panic when encountering an emergency, control yourself not to panic when you fail to unclog your drain. Licensed and insured plumbers are equipped with different tools that are quick, unobtrusive and safe.
Armed with the tips provided above, you are expected to prevent and clear any clogs whether in your shower, bathtub or toilet. Remember, bothersome and frustrating they might seem, but they are preventable when proper measures are taken.